Pages

Thursday 7 June 2012

If it's good enough for H F-H, it's good enough for me!

I write a blog on behalf of the Exmouth Harriers (http://exmouth-harriers.blogspot.co.uk/ if you're interested), and now I think it's time to be totally self-focussed and write one about ME! If it's good enough for the likes of Heather Foundling-Hawker, Helen Taranowski and Sarah Ridgway, then it's good enough for me! I love reading their blogs, finding out how their training is going, what their racing plans are, how they found certain races. I'm not sure that people will find my ramblings of any interest, but I love writing and it's something to do when I'm stuck in on duty, so I'm doing it anyway. Read it, don't read, I don't mind!

So, a bit about myself and how I got into this running lark. I took up running in 2010. I was living in North Wales at the time and a friend of mine, Sonja Frank, had signed up to run the Anglesey Marathon. I got talking to her about it, found out it was on the 26th of September, it was 26.2 miles long and I was 26 years old at the time. It seemed like some kind of omen - I should sign up too! So I did, and it all went from there.

My parents were a bit worried when I first told them I was going to run a marathon. They know what an all-or-nothing personality I've got and how driven I can be once I put my mind to something, and they also knew how I used to abuse exercise for weight-loss in my teenage years, so I think they were concerned that I would take things a little too far!! However, once I got into the training and started building up the miles whilst managing to maintain the same healthy weight, their worries subsided a little.

I started training for the marathon as soon as I signed up, in late May 2010. It was 4 months away which was enough time to sensibly build up the milage and do a couple of long runs. Having never really raced before (apart from the rare occasions at school when I was selected - against my will, it must be said - to represent the school at athletic meets at Newquay and Par) I decided I could use a little race experience so it wasn't all so new to me and scary on marathon day. I found a couple of 10k races that were taking place before the marathon and signed up for them - they were the Sidmouth 10k (apparently not the ideal race to choose for your first ever race experience - I must have been the only person to get a PB on that course!) and the Jurassic Coast 10k (similar!).

I remember arriving at race HQ to register for the Sid-Fest 10k and thinking how sporty and professional all the other runners looked in their running club vests. I thought I would probably end up being left behind straight away and totally embarassing myself. I had no bench mark to measure myself against and just feared that as I was new and these people had clearly done this before, I would be bringing up the rear! But not so! We set off up the hill and not only was I not last, I was fairly near the front. I was tailing a girl who was in thrid the whole way and trying to hang onto her, but she just got away from me at the end. Also at the end I was overtaken on the final downhill by Emma Dupain of the Exmouth Harriers... cue the initial encounter that led me to joining this fantastic club! So I came 5th female in my first ever race... but I wasn't happy. I wanted to place top 3 and be in the prizes next time. In my next race, one week later, at the Jurassic Coast 10k, I improved my position to 4th lady. Then a month later, back in Wales, I not only made my target of the top 3 but I amazed myself by winning the Caernarfon 10k. And so that was that, I was hooked on a sport that I found I wasn't too bad at either.

On 26th September, I ran my first marathon. I didn't use a watch, had no idea about pacing. I had done 2 long runs of 3 hours each and coped ok, and so I just ran at a pace that felt comfortable to me. Luckily, I didn't blow up - despite an awful fueling strategy which only saw me take on 2 gels for energy and nothing else, other than water, the whole race - and I finished 2nd female and 15th overall in 3:19:16. That left me wondering, if I could do that time without a proper training regime and by just running my own natural pace, what could I maybe too with a bit more effort... And so began my love-affair with competitive running, that is still just as passionate almost 2 years on.

More musings to come soon, but for now, some photos from the Sid-Fest 10k.


                              
At the foot of Peak Hill, after my first ever race in August 2010

  
And we're off! The start of the Sid-Fest 10k multi-terrain race: a 1km lung-busting climb, not the easiest race to pick as a first attempt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.